Founding of the SJCS Cadet Corps. Affiliation: The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, 90th Regiment. This was the 1st regiment raised in the City of Winnipeg.
Members received both military and physical training and underwent an Annual Inspection. To note: Within 5 years of its existence, the corps was awarded with its first honour, the Governor General Strathcona’s shield for general proficiency as the best Cadet Corps ion the province. Their record of excellence in this field would continue throughout the 20s and 30s. It won the Governor General’s Shield for 4 consecutive years. In 1920, it acquired permanent ownership of the Strathcona Cup for shooting having won this competition 3 years in a row. It won the Provincial Shield several more times and in the mid 30s was awarded the Governor General’s Dominion Shield for been the best in Cadet Corps in Canada.
The Cadet Corps was a permanent fixture in Winnipeg’s annual Decoration Day and Armistice Day parades. When His Excellency, the Governor General, the Earl of Bessborough , visited the western provinces in 1934 the Cadet Corps served as the Guard of Honour upon his entry to School property.
William Hubbard ’38 was selected from the best 200 Canadian Schools by the Overseas League to attend the Coronation of King George VI (May, 1938).
Dissolved in 1950.